How to wash your hair? Really? What if I tell you that you have been washing your hair all wrong all this while!! I know a lot of you would be like what nonsense! I have been doing it for ages, it can’t be wrong.
Someone recently said to me if something has been done in a wrong manner for a very long time there is no reason you should continue doing it, fair enough. So, without any further delays let’s get into some serious business of how to wash your hair correctly.
Here is a step-by-step break down as to how to wash your hair to avoid hair breakage and enjoy healthy hair.
Pre-Hair Wash Treatment:
It is always good if you apply some oil any oil that suits your hair and keep it for good two hours and even overnight so that your hair is properly moisturized. Different hair oils deal with different concerns.
Choose the essential oil for your hair concern and use any carrier oil like olive oil, coconut oil or almond oil to give your scalp a good head massage. If you are not a very big fan of oiling any hair mask would also do the trick.
In Shower Steps on How to Wash Your Hair:
- Pour a generous amount of water in your hair so that it is wet, the shampoo lathers nicely in wet hair.
- Do not apply the shampoo directly to your hair, always mix half a portion of the shampoo with half water. This way the shampoo lathers better and the diluted shampoo is good for the scalp as it reduces the quantity of chemicals that you are adding to your hair. Not to forget the amount of product that you save.
- Spread the shampoo evenly to the scalp covering the portion behind the ears as well and massage the product.
- Use your fingertips to massage the product in as if you are giving yourself a good head massage.
- Continue the process for good three minutes. You may play some music so that you keep track of the time.
- In case you have oiled your hair and your hair is greasy you can go in once again with the shampoo and massage it for good two to three minutes.
- Now it’s time to rinse the product with water and let the shampoo come out on its own. Don’t massage your scalp in this step and let the shampoo come off on its own.
- Once you get rid of all the shampoo and your hair is clean. Take out the excess of water from your hair and apply your favourite conditioner.
- The conditioner should not be applied to the scalp as it would make your hair greasy and weigh it down.
- Only use it at the end and work with your fingers.
- You may also use a detangling comb or a wide tooth brush to make sure that the product is spread evenly.
- Keep the conditioner in your hair for good four to five minutes.
- If you wish to deep condition your hair it can be kept for 15 to 20 minutes depending on your choice.
- Wash your hair with water and give a cold water rinse in the end.
- This closes the open hair cuticles and also adds shine to the hair.
Additional Tips on How to Wash Your Hair:
- Don’t use hot water to shampoo your hair. Always, wash your hair with lukewarm or cold water. Hot water may cause dandruff and itchy scalp.
- Shampoo should be mild and free from chemicals such as SLE’s.
- Using an organic shampoo like Rahua is a good option.
- Always use a conditioner or mask after shampooing your hair. When you wash your hair it gets rid of the moisture due to the shampoo.
- Your scalp secrets oil but there is no such mechanism for your mane so it very important to add that moisture back into the hair after the process.
Post Hair wash Steps on How to Wash Your Hair:
- Always use a cotton t-shirt to wrap your hair. The normal towel has fiber which creates friction with the hair and makes them fizzy and dry. Your hair may also appear lifeless over time due to the use of a regular towel for hair drying.
- If you want to use a towel make sure it is a cotton hair towel and not the usual body towel.
- Comb your hair with a detangling brush such as tangle teaser or the wet brush after your hair is half dry.
- Adding some leave-in conditioner or argan oil works wonder to tame the frizz and add shine to the hair.
- Style the mane as usual and enjoy your happy hair.
Hope this article on how to wash your hair was of use to you. Don’t forget to leave me a comment down below and share your experience. I would love to hear from you guys.
Thank you so much for reading.
Until next time!